May 11, 2018
Floridians know all too well the devastation hurricanes can bring to our state. Hurricane season officially starts on June 1. Now is the time ensure that you and your family are prepared.
Threats from hurricanes include high winds, heavy rainfall, storm surge, coastal and inland flooding, rip currents and tornadoes.
The best protection against a storm is preparedness. The National Hurricane Center issues watches, forecasts and warnings. To help protect yourself and your family against a tropical storm this season, consider the following tips provided from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:
- Determine your risk
- Develop an evacuation plan
- Secure an insurance check-up
- Assemble disaster supplies
- Strengthen your home
- Identify your trusted sources of information for a hurricane event
- Complete your written hurricane plan
For more tips on preparing for weather risks for your home and community, visit