Hurricane Preparedness Tips for Floridians
June 1, 2015
It’s that time of the year again. June marks the beginning of hurricane season.
Florida residents must be prepared for major storms. The Florida Division of Emergency Management offers tips for hurricane preparedness:
- Have a NOAA All-Hazards Weather Radio and battery backup to receive important weather and other emergency-related warnings.
- Locate or build a Safe Room in the interior of your home or business that can help provide protection for you and your family or your employees.
- Determine if your home is in a storm surge evacuation zone. If so, learn what needs to be done if you evacuate or stay when a storm is moving toward your area.
- Learn how to prepare your home from wind damage before a storm threatens your area.
- Consider insuring your home or business for flood loss.
- Make sure that all other aspects of your home are as protected from hurricanes as possible.
- Get many more facts about hurricanes and hurricane safety from the National Hurricane Center and the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA).